produce series post 1: raddicchio

Hi all! As you may know, I am a produce clerk in a high end grocery store. My produce friends suggested I do a series of produce related posts! Today's is the vegetable radicchio.

Raddicchio:

There are many varieties of radicchio. Below is the regular kind. There is also a treviso variety. Below is the di chiogga variety. My store sells both.

They can be roasted. Generally these are pungent, spicy, and bitter. The bitterness subsides a little as it cooks but it is something that would be good for spicier dishes such as Mediterranean dishes or Italian food, for which radicchio has origins in amongst Italy.

This is a veggie that is safe for guinea pigs. I found out in 2018 this year that guinea pigs can have it and they can have it everyday. It is quite expensive so I wait until it gets beat up and old and then when it is culled, I buy it reduced. Pineapple loves this stuff as much as lettuce!

Bye!  











Image result for radicchio

Comments

Popular Posts