The Importance of Self Care, especially during a Pandemic

Hey all,

I've been having a weird couple of days. I am sick of the pandemic. I miss my job, but I know what has to be done in order to have good mental health, despite a pandemic.

Self-care.

I am not someone who always has high self esteem. I sometimes don't like myself. I do have better self esteem in the last few years, but I still struggle sometimes.

Self-care is important to boost your mood to one that is happy and healthy. It is about helping you to be the best you you can be! It ranges from body care to promoting self care mentally, and emotionally as well.

Self-care is especially important during a pandemic. We might get lax in our ability to take care of ourselves in a time of great uncertainty. We might worry so much that we forget to be kind to ourselves! Hygiene is one of the things that is self-care, but it is so much more than that. We can be our worst critic, our worst enemy. We can judge ourselves the harshest out of everyone we know. My therapist says we must be kinder to ourselves. Treat ourselves how we would positively treat our best friends. That is something that hits you once you think about it. I am very giving and extroverted, and I invest my time in raising people up and nurturing them with friendship, but I often forget to hold myself to that same regard!

Here is a list of things that I consider, esp. in my case, to be self-care, esp. during the pandemic:

1. Flossing (i struggled for years to floss.)

2. General cleanliness

3. hair Care

4. general body care

5. foot care (I am passionate about this!)

6. lotioning your dry, cracked, eczema flared up hands (washing my hands an extreme amount because of covid-19!)

7. cleaning your house/apartment. It will help you to see the dust and dirt be eliminated! clutter and dirt=stress and anxiety!

8. Reading a book. I have enough books for my own mini library! Plus my cousins let me pick out books they are done with!

9. Time outside/ time out on apartment deck.

10. listening to music

11. exercise. I am not always one who moves around a lot. I'm going to get into dancing though and some weight lifting with some stuff i already have for workouts in my apartment. I did enjoy my brief stint with the gym to know that moving around is not evil!

12. writing poems/stories/ journaling. I am writing a bunch of my goals, thoughts, esp. during the pandemic, even if has nothing to do with pandemic thoughts sometimes.

13. Blogging. I am not fully committed to blogging a lot, at least on a formal blog, but I do spend a bunch of time on twitter writing about things I like, reading news, people's opinions. I try to stick to my news feed so it doesn't get depressing looking at sad things in there.

14. spending time with pets. I have a senior guinea pig named Pineapple. She is almost 7 years old! She fills my days with joy and I am blessed to have her. I am glad to have her company during the pandemic!

15. Writing things you are thankful for! I have a little scribbler book I write down things a few times a month I am thankful for! repeat things still count!

16. Watching a tv/movie you like.

17. Organizing your books/movies!

18. gardening/ growing plants

19. drinking enough water

20. eating regular meals that are healthy



The list of things could go on!

Now is a good time to start taking care of yourself better/ self-care. A lot of us have more times on our hands. I hope you will treat yourself better. <3

-curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts