Thrift 3: Reuse!

 Obviously we know that it takes a lot of water to make clothes. But we can also save things from going to landfills!

Giving a second life to used items helps the waste cycle and helps give new life to things that are already made. Obviously people still need to buy some things new, but it saves good items from becoming trash.

I have made a point of buying most books used, often at my work, a thrift store. It saves me money on books I wish to keep on my collection. I also have been taking great joy in reading library books which also saves on buying new books. As well I own a Kobo ereader so I save on trees too!

When clothes are donated, they can be made to be rags or insulation if they do not meet floor standard. This applies for when there is too much product. The clothes can also be sent overseas to be resold in their market. However, a lot of clothes still get thrown out overseas because they are oversaturated with clothes. It's sad really.

Reuse is a huge part of the recycle cycle. Obviously reduce is thee most important but in order to create less waste, we can reuse items and purchase second hand. It is appalling how much stuff people throw out that is perfectly good that they could have repurposed, donated or send to a friend or family member. It's especially true with rich people or people who have money to spend. I'll be doing a post on the gentrification of thrifting with my thoughts and opinions because as a min. wage worker, I find it hard to afford things especially giving my spending habits. Thrifting is expensive for stuff that is not designer and thankfully I have my work discount at the thrift store chain I work at. 

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts