Decluttering 6: shopping as coping and decluttering as healing

 Hey all,

I made a jumpstart into more decluttering. Some of the books I bought dirt cheap at work with my work discount have made it to the donation pile. I'm not going to get around to reading them all and I know the ones I bought for like 2-3 bucks a book are usually at the library as they are popular titles. One of my weaknesses have been storage baskets and i have bought too many. I'm healing though and i am trying to live my best life by having a tidy home. 

Retail therapy can be soothing, but it is addictive. I have a spending addiction and I like to buy things. I have certain things I overspend in, one of them being food. Groceries is a huge spending area for me and I am working on it. Part of the problem is I overeat and then I spend more money on more food to replace it. I tend to have an overeating eating disorder in that I will eat when I'm bored or when I am sad. But there are ways to soothe yourself that are free. Exercise, drawing, reading, using the library to get out a couple of books and then you can bring them back when you are finished. Decluttering is healing. Don't get rid of things you feel you will regret getting rid of. If there is something you wish to part with you can make some money on, you can do that; just make sure it's something that belongs to you. I only sell things I have bought personally. 

Clutter is known to increase anxiety and depression, and anxiety and depression lead to more clutter. It is a vicious cycle for sure. 

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts