Being priced out by water bottles: Gentrification by bougie water bottles

 Hey all,

I don't believe in paying a lot for a water bottle. $10 is my limit and most times I end up buying something decent at Dollarama. But there is a new type of gentrification that is not about housing at all, it's the capitalism behind bougie water bottles. You know the type, those massive expensive as hell Stanley cups and Yeti water bottles. Yes it is all well and good to keep your water cold but these water bottles cost half a shifts pay at my minimum wage thrift store job and I have to wonder why we are normalizing expensive water bottles.

Yes it is better for the environment if we refill our water bottles that are reusable. I'm all for that. But now the new rage is paying a lot for these massive water bottles. Water bottles are now a status symbol and if you don't have a massive $40+ water bottle, then apparently you're not the hottest shit around and you're apparently not that great. 

This is not true! You can buy good water bottles for a fraction of the cost of a Stanley cup or a Yeti. It's one of those things where those damn influencers on tik tok and instagram are flaunting their wealth. Look at me I can afford these bougie water bottles and various other things that are but a dream for the working class.

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts