King of the Hill: a series of blog posts on our fave animated Texans. (part 1: when does the series start not getting good?)

 Hey all!

It's curlyalicia here with a brand new blog post!

And it's not just an update!

This might not be as long as a post as I want it to be as I might not have time today to do this post in full.

I love King of the Hill. It is a realistic animated show for teens and adults that is centered around the relationships between characters. It is a contrast to the Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad and even Rick and Morty because things that happen on the King of the Hill are not zany and over the top (although there are plenty of little zany moments, mainly Dale Gribble, who I love). A lot of the stories center around Hank Hill's relationship with his son, Bobby Hill.

The first 7 seasons or so have my favorite episodes of the series. There are some I love season 8 and beyond but there are some really weird episodes after season 8.

It's kind of funny that Simpsons, Family Guy and King of the Hill all have dips in the same season or so. Simpsons is known for dipping around season 9 or so (yes not season 8 but some argue season 8 was the start as well), esp. with the "Skinner is not actually Skinner" episode, The Principal and the Pauper. Family Guy I find dips during season 8 and definitely dips around season 12, although there are some good episodes between season 8 and 12. 

I can't really describe very specific reasons why King of the Hill dips around season 8, but I can think of some reasons why. Season 8 and onward is when the animation looked more digital. Digital animation usually is when Simpsons and Family Guy dipped, albeit more their HD digital animation. 


Another reason and more so why I find the seasons 8 and onward aren't as good is because there are weirder stories that might seem out of place in the universe at least not following what made them great in other seasons. Things get a little zanier and Peggy Hill although I like her and am bothered by her sometimes becomes unlikable sometimes. The atmospheric feeling isn't there as much either.

I might do a part two on this dip in quality in King of The Hill more in depth when I watch the series from the beginning. The episodes I haven't seen or haven't seen a lot are not fresh in my mind so I want to go more in depth.


curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts