two jobs: then and now

 Hello all,

This is a different post of sorts. I don't have a lot of jobs I have worked. Some of them I have liked more than others. I won't mention too many details here but I wanted to without getting into the specifics or the names of these jobs the journey between my last job and the job I'm at now.

My former job was as a produce clerk at a local grocery store. It was a place I wanted to work for years. I have been passionate about produce a long time. I was laid off due to a shortage of work from a warehouse that has been downsizing for years since I was laid off. I got hired at the grocery store on my own merits. I was happy to have gotten a job so fast. Weirdly enough, I got the job offer on the way to my first of two interviews at the store I work at now. 

I have had happy memories and sad memories at my former job. My sad memories happened the year my fave supervisor left, a new manager that was awful started that year, and in that same year I lost Creamsicle, my baby guinea pig (even at 3.5 years I considered her a baby. i've had her since she was a month old). I've had other supervisors and managers there since that terrible year where my mental health was at its worst and they have been better since. I actually came to be on good terms with one who at first I didn't see eye to eye with. I still have them on my FB! 

I stayed at my old job for 3.5 years. My fave time there was when my fave supervisor was there. They made the work fun and I still talk to them on FB. Obviously I got burnt out after they left. I also lived a long commute away and my energy was terrible trying to spend 1 hour each way bussing.

The job I turned down a second interview for when I accepted the job at the grocery store was a place I've wanted to work for awhile. There were lessons I had to learn about the working world that I'd need to learn in order to survive at my current work so I'm glad I learned them before I got the job I have now. My boss at my old job that was there before I left for my new job helped me to be even more productive than before and I learned to be more resilient and how to quickly shift tasks. These are valuable skills for my current job. There was a person who worked at my former job who used to work at my current job so they told me about the high expectations.

I worked my notice and my last day was right before my first day at my new job. When I started the new job I was unsure about it. It was so fast paced. But I made a lot of friends fast and learned a lot of skills and became good at my tasks. I now work at a thrift store and I really like it there. There are a lot of cool things about working there. There are sometimes snacks they give us via a snack fund they keep going. There are health benefits, paid sick days, paid vacation weeks. I get a great discount in store. It might be just a retail job but I have found a job that felt just as happy if not more happy than when I worked with my fave supervisor. I have sooo many friends at work. I enjoy what I do and I do it well.

That's it for now. I wanted to make this post a really happy one because even if we grow away from different jobs, there is a job out there for people that make them feel passionate. That's what working at the thrift store does for me.


curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts