Decluttering 4: Attachment to things and stuff

 Hey all!

This is part 4 in my decluttering series. Have you ever had attachment to things and stuff? I know I have! I'm not a hoarder but I do like collecting things. I take pride in my collections but I realize that my spending issues go hand in hand with my attachment to items.

I don't want to try to make every iota of every post about me. The internet says that that's not a good thing for a blog to do constantly. 

Attachment to things is putting value on non sentient beings. Sometimes it can go overboard and it becomes hoarding. Sometimes you are just a collector and you realize you have too many things in a small space and have to declutter things that you don't love as much as other things. I have placed a lot of value in books as I am a book lover and I love reading, but the money spent on these books, even though each book was only 3 bucks, could have been a free borrow from the library. When we put value on things and stuff, we run the risk of taking our relationships with family for granted. We tend to take things for granted, whether they are furry or human. But you can have healthy attachments to things when you realize that you can still love your collections and keep the items that give you joy and are useful to you. I don't speak about hoarders. You can keep your books, for instance, but you must keep the books that give you the most joy. I have a separate post I am going to do that is decluttering 5 that will be a more personal look at my attachment to things and how i am going to be decluttering and relying more on the library. It is a project I am working on. I think it will be a cross post on money as well because of retail therapy.

Keep things that spark joy, as Marie Kondo says. Don't do decluttering when you are sad because you will get rid of things you love and your sadness will cloud your judgement.

Retail therapy and acquiring things can be an attachment to things. Things can make us happy. It's important to find attachments beyond things so that things do not become more important than people.

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts