Autism acceptance march 2022

As you may or may not know, I am autistic.

April is Autism Awareness month.

However, we don't need autism awareness, we need autism acceptance. Often, NTS (neurotypicals, or not autistic people) pretend to care about autism during this month and hype it up with Autism Speaks awareness as well. But, Autism Speaks is an awful abhorrent organization that views autistic people as a cancer and a shit stain upon the earth. They are absolutely no good for autistic people or anything autistic related.

I want to highlight autism acceptance by writing about my experiences as an autistic person. I don't always write about being autistic on here but it is a part of who I am and disability and neurodivergence are not things to be ashamed about at all. Often people try to use politically correct terms like handy capable or differently able but this is not right at all. Disability is not a dirty term. Disability doesn't have to be bad. A lot of people at one point or another will have a disability, especially as we age.

As an actually autistic person I experience emotional problems, social problems and other problems as well. I have mental health issues both related to and separate from my autistic self. I also have a minor cognitive delay, but am also very smart despite the cognitive delay as I was tested on logic questions.  I have been running away from my identity as an actually autistic woman and I am going to embrace it. Screw you Autism Speaks! 

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts