Thrift 1: Saving water by shopping thrift clothing

 How much water does it take to make a pair of jeans?

7500-7600 litres! (https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/blink/know/it-takes-7600-litres-of-water-to-make-your-jeans/article30871977.ece )

How much water does it take to make a cotton t-shirt?

2700 litres! (https://www.theconsciouschallenge.org/ecologicalfootprintbibleoverview/water-clothing )

This is A LOT of water just to produce a single shirt or pair of jeans!


When I was growing up, my mom bought us thrifted clothes. This was because we were low income. I still buy thrifted clothing as well as new. I really should be buying more clothes thrifted but some things I prefer new and it isn't just unmentionables! I get gift cards for clothing places and I do enjoy a good clearance rack shirt at Winners. But I have been shifting some of my purchases toward thrifted shirts. I work thrift and I am passionate about thrifting. I am trying to do some things that are good for the environment. I am only one person and big corporations are largely accountable for the amount of pollution in the environment. I am not perfect and can't do all the things it takes on an individual level to help the environment but I do try where I can.

Knowing the amount of water it takes to make clothing, I hope you can buy more clothes thrifted too. I am starting a thrift series not just on the benefits of thrifting but just talking about thrifting in general and the positives with buying second hand as well as cool things you can find at a thrift store that I have found.

Comments

Popular Posts