Family Guy Season 8-10+ What I like, what I don't like. Thoughts, Feelings, Rants

Hey all,

Season 8+ of Family Guy has some good jokes, but there are a lot of things that really irk me about the newer seasons. I haven't seen a lot of season 19+ of Family Guy so I will be concentrating on the themes of seasons 8-18.

A thing that I really do not like about modern Family Guy is when Peter constantly messes up, apologizes and learns absolutely nothing. I mean that worked in the olden days but there was a good message and Peter actually felt remorse. Now, every single episode seems to be Peter or some other Griffin family member, but especially Peter, giving a half arsed apology while they pan in on Peter or whoever is giving the apology. It is tired and overdone!

Another thing I hate is how unlikable they have made Brian. Brian is actually one of my fave Griffin family members along with Stewie and sometimes Meg. I actually cosplayed Meg once for a sci fi convention in my city. I identify as a left leaning moderate but they have made Brian such an annoying leftie. I identify with leftie politics but Brian is such a jerk about his beliefs, being so leftist that he will militantly denounce all religions. He is an atheist but he is not a polite atheist. I still like Brian a lot but he has become even more full of himself and it is tiring.

Some of the worst episodes of the series comes from these seasons. I don't hate Seahorse Seashell Party. I actually like it. The ending part where Meg accepts being the family punching bag is in bad taste but I don't think it is that bad. However, we have the Quagmire's sister's abuse episode, Peter trying to marry Chris for his inheritance. We have the Brian's a bad father episode, Herpe the love sore, and some other stinkers.

But there are a lot of good episodes too. I'm fond of the episode from season 17 where Lois becomes obsessed with decluttering and gets rid of EVERYTHING in the house. There are a bunch of Brian and Stewie adventures like the Multiverse episode, the time going backwards episode, the episode where they shrink down to minute size and meet the water bears. The back to the pilot episode. Even though Road to India is the least good Road to episode, I still really like it.

While it was funny at times that Quagmire got into some sexual situations, they have steered his character away from being just a pervert and they gave him some personality other than sex demon. He loves cats and he has hobbies that don't revolve around sex.

A thing I didn't like was how Bonnie is unhappy with Joe going so far as wanting to kill him as the setting fire to the house joke goes. I also don't like how Joe is no longer fearless cop and hero and now is made fun of as being disabled and pathetic because his disability has become the butt of the joke. He used to do so much in light of being in a wheelchair and now he has become a pity party for the show. 

Another thing I like is how Chris gets more stories now and sometimes comes on Stewie and Brian's adventures, such as the one where they time travel through history to help Chris get a good mark on his history test. I like how Meg is getting more stories and not getting as much crap against her.

One more thing I would like to touch on is how I really don't like that they have effectively done away with giving Cleveland's family, especially his kids, anything to do. This is especially the case with speaking roles. I only ever seem to see Cleveland Jr., Rollo and Roberta in the background not saying anything at Thanksgiving activities or father son/ father daughter or community picnic style things. They had a whole freaking show where they had personalities! Now they don't do anything! Cleveland's kids were done dirty once their show was canceled and they came back to Family Guy.

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts