April is Autism Acceptance Month

 Hey all,

If you don't know already, I am autistic. On Twitter, I follow and am followed by a lot of autistic people. Myself and the other autistics use the #actuallyautistic hashtag on twitter.

April is autism acceptance month. It is NOT autism awareness month. Autistic people want to be seen, heard, valued. We are not stupid, we are smart and we have feelings and goals. We have hopes and dreams. We are not "Rain Man". 

DO NOT support Autism Speaks! They claim they are for autistic rights but they are an autism hate group. Everything they do hurts autistic people! Instead, support autistic groups that help autistic people and even have autistic people on their boards and as members.

There are a lot of autistic people out there. It is not easy to always tell if people are autistic. It is NOT a compliment to tell us we don't seem autistic. It is actually insulting because you are lumping us in with people who are high support needs. Not all autistic people need help 24/7. We actually can be quite independent. I have my own apt, my own full time job, a guinea pig. I do have problems with emotions, mental health and whatnot but I am capable. A lot of autistic people are capable of doing things!

This month and even beyond April as it is an all year thing I do, I retweet and promote autism acceptance on Twitter.

curlyalicia


Comments

Popular Posts