What makes you happy? The Switch!

 Hey all,

I had made a post on twitter about a reframing question my therapist asks me whether I'm doing well or having an off week. The question is, what makes you feel better/ what takes the edge off anything that is driving you nuts/ what helps you to unwind? The answer is, my Nintendo Switch!

I usually give this answer, among other things. My mom bought me my switch. I have the switch lite. She sent me money to get it during Black Friday 2019. It was tax free that day and I had $60 in grocery points. I lined up for it in the wee hours before work started. I actually was so early in line I was one of so many in the line to get a $10 gift card to the grocery store! I raced to customer service to get it! It's special because my mom got it for me for Christmas that year. It also makes me feel good when I play it! I don't have a lot of games for it, but the games I do have for it are very happy inducing games!

I play Pokemon Scarlet a lot on it. I got it a year after it came out with my grocery points. I have Pokemon Sword and I haven't played it for awhile but hope to play it again soon! My mom got me that game for my switch for Christmas 2019. I have Pokemon Legends Arceus which I got with my grocery points. The last two games my mom bought me for the switch were digital versions of Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Animal Crossing New Horizons. After that, I decided I wasn't going to put financial pressure on her to buy me games for my switch and was going to use my grocery points from now on!

I find the switch relaxing and exciting. I probably have played my switch more than any other video game system, esp. handheld, that I have ever owned! This is even considering I used to obsessively play my gameboy color as a kid, as well as my gamecube when I was a teen. I've been meaning to play my gamecube more. I don't have a lot of games for it and games are really expensive for it on the used market. Maybe on my paid week off in June!

My switch helps me decompress after a busy day at work. It is almost a form of mindfulness meditation much like when I read a book. My breathing becomes calm and I have a sense of joy.

I'm working on saving up my grocery points for next year's new Pokemon release for the switch. It is a new Legends game set in the Kalos region, probably mostly in Lumiose City. I have a soft spot for the Kalos region even if it's not my top fave generation. I will try to save up more and more points to get other games too because I am missing out on some really fun games. Again, switch games are really expensive so I have to use my grocery points!

The switch is a happy escape for me and a sense of wonder and joy. It is not my only joy in my life, but it does make me really happy!

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts