Actually Autistic and getting jobs

 Hi all,

This is a post about being actually autistic. I am formally diagnosed as being autistic. I wanted to touch on the working world and autism. It's more about getting the job I want to focus on.

I've only started working in my 20s. I've had hard times getting jobs due to my disability. Why? Well the whole job application process, the whole recruiting stuff is really hard if you are autistic. Even if you are fairly independent like I am and don''t need assistance most of the day, the whole thing is geared for neurotypicals.

Most jobs want you to apply online. That's not terrible, it's easy to apply online and use technology. But usually getting a job is not just applying. Networking is a huge part of getting a job even if you are just working retail. Just introducing yourself on the phone or walking in and introducing yourself to the hiring manager can be daunting as many autistic people have problems with being social. I personally get really nervous and I stutter when talking to even people I know, even family. Even if my anxiety isn't bad, I still stutter because my brain and my speech are trying to keep up with each other.

This is the same reason why interviews suck. Well all of it is hard for autistic people. Autistic people don't catch on as well to social cues and it often feels like non autistic people already know what to do in every situation, like they were born with a guide to life and autistic people did not. Interviews I struggle with because even if I practice, I don't get the job or don't land the second interview because I get so nervous. Interviews also ask questions that are more about past behaviour in different situations that do not reflect how well you can do the actual job. It can feel like a trap to an autistic person. 

I've had many interviews before. I've had many I have bombed. But there are ones I did really well in and I felt 100% like I did. Those handful of good interviews have landed me my last job and my job at the thrift store. It really helps to be prepared. But also be actually interested for the job you are being interviewed for. Some jobs I applied to because I just really needed a job after my first full time job downsized and did a lot of layoffs. But if you need a job just because you have none, you need to be honestly excited for the company you are getting an interview with. How I got to be hired at the thrift store was because I am passionate about thrifting and before I got hired I was passionate about shopping at their store. Just shopping in their stores esp. the location I got hired at makes me happy, even if I don't buy anything. It helps to do research too about different values of the company, their humble beginnings, etc.

I'm not sure what I would tell autistic people to do to better secure a job other than what I just said. You should get someone at a job agency (people who have people to help hone excel/word/ interview skills) to help edit, format your resume even if you don't have a job history. The sad thing is though that autistic people are largely unemployed. A lot of them are hirable, but their disability prevents them from landing a job in the first place. But it can be done. It also helps to apply to places that not only do not bar people with disabilities, race, religion, etc, from working with them, but companies who openly hire people with disabilities. My work hires quite a few autistic people or even people who are diverse. My work likes to hire people who are willing to work and work with passion. <3

curlyalicia

Comments

Popular Posts